Not only did I have the chance to screen the first 3 episodes of WandaVision (more about that this week, so check back for that) but I also got to attend the virtual press junket! That’s right, I got to learn more about the series from Elizabeth Olsen (“Wanda Maximoff”), Paul Bettany (“Vision”), Teyonah Parris (“Monica Rambeau”), Kathryn Hahn (“Agnes”), Matt Shakman (Director), Jac Schaeffer (Head Writer) and Kevin Feige (Producer). Of course, I jotted down any WandaVision fun facts they shared during the event and compiled a list for you!
WandaVision Fun Facts
- Their first episode was filmed in front of live studio audience and that sort of messed with Elizabeth Olsen.
- Elizabeth Olsen channeled Mary Tyler Moore and Elizabeth Montgomery for that first episode.
- Paul Bettany threw Dick Van Dyke and Hugh Laurie into Visions’ character but what he did keep was Vision’s decency. Paul went on to say that Vision exists for Wanda and that has stayed the same.
- We actually met Met Monica Rambeau in Captain Marvel as a little girl and we will see that character in Captain Marvel 2.
- Matt Shakman (the director) and Jameel White (the moderator for the press conference…you may also know him as Steve Urkel) were on a pilot for a show that was canceled and later became Saved by the Bell.
- The actors watched a ton of old comedy shows to prep and they worked with dialect coach as well.
- Kevin Feige very happy this was the debut for Marvel Studios. Originally it was supposed to be Falcon and Winter Soldier that were set to premiere first on Disney+
- They were trying to depict the sitcom reality of those decades, not necessarily the actual decades – Elizabeth Olsen
- Kevin Feige said that there will be things on the show that you will only be able to see on Disney+
- Commercials will be how they leak out certain details/clues.
- The Twilight Zone was an inspiration for some of the darker aspects of the Wanda Vision episodes.
- Elizabeth Olsen couldn’t wiggle her nose so they had to come up with another representation for that era (waving her hand instead).
- Elizabeth Olsen shared that from Wanda’s point of view, she would describe Wanda Vision as a family sitcom of 2 people trying to fit in and not be discovered for being different.
- We get to learn what Monica has seen and gone thru and how it shaped her life in upcoming WandaVision episodes.
- When asked about WandaVision kicking off Phase 4 and where phase 4 ends, he would not answer. But are we surprised?
- Kevin Feige says he didn’t realize Elizabeth Olsen‘s ties to the sitcom era until he was in the writer’s room surrounded by photos of Full House.
- Kevin refers to Elizabeth as “Lizzie” during the press conference.
Starring Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany, “WandaVision” marks the first series from Marvel Studios streaming exclusively on Disney+. The series is a blend of classic television and the Marvel Cinematic Universe in which Wanda Maximoff and Vision – two super-powered beings living idealized suburban lives – begin to suspect that everything is not as it seems. Key art and new images are also available now.