I had the opportunity to speak with the director of Tom & Jerry The Movie, Tim Story. Given how much I enjoyed the film with my family, I couldn’t wait to hear what he had to say about its development. Of course, I jotted down all of the Tom & Jerry The Movie Fun Facts he shared during our time together.
Tom & Jerry The Movie Fun Facts
- Tim Story has a part in the film as the voice of a pigeon you see in the opening credit. That role came to be as he jokingly commented that the pigeon should rap.
- The animation is actually all computerized but it was made to look as if it were hand-drawn.
- A puppet was used as a stand-in for Tom.
- The film is set in New York city but primarily filmed in London.
- They would make the objects, that weren’t CGI, move with fishing line.
- The animal tornado scene wasn’t something that was originally in the script. It was an idea they actually came up with as they were preparing for the film.
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit and the original Tom & Jerry cartoons were just a couple of his inspirations in the creation of this movie.
- It took them 2 years to make this film.
- They didn’t want to make these characters feel like they were in our world.
- Some cartoon characters talk and some don’t, there are no rules.
- A scene where Jerry gets revenge on a seagull was cut from the film.
- If Tim Story had to choose a favorite, it would be Jerry (he’s a big fan).
Tom & Jerry The Movie will be available on HBOMax on February 26th!
More about Tom & Jerry The Movie
A legendary rivalry reemerges when Jerry moves into New York City’s finest hotel on the eve of the wedding of the century, forcing the desperate event planner to hire Tom to get rid of him. As mayhem ensues, the escalating cat-and-mouse battle soon threatens to destroy her career, the wedding, and possibly the hotel itself.