Last week I had the chance to attend a virtual press junket for Once Upon A Snowman. We had the chance to hear Trent Correy (Director / Writer), Dan Abraham (Director / Writer), Peter Del Vecho (Creative Consultant) and Becky Bresee (Head of Animation) share some fun facts. After watching this short, I could not wait to hear what they had to say…and now I am sharing these fun facts with you.
Once Upon A Snowman Fun Facts
- This idea dates back to when they were making their first Frozen film (2013)
- Production happened right on the tail end of Frozen 2
- This story ties everything together about Olaf
Fun Fact: Aladdin is Trent Correy’s favorite movie, of course the genie was his favorite character.
- Josh Gad is just as funny in the movie as he is in person. The line was “I kind of look like a Trevor” but Josh came up with “I kind of look like a Fernando or Trevor”.
Fun Fact: Josh brought his family to the wrap party. His daughter came up to Trent and said she didn’t “like” the short, she “loved” it.
- There are a lot of fun Easter Eggs in the movie – the selling of Anna’s coronation dress. The cards he looks at in the Stereoscope (a Moana shot) and maybe even a Tangled image.
- When asked if there are more Frozen stories to be told, there was no definitive answer because they are currently working on other projects but at least it wasn’t a “no”
Fun Fact: Olaf doesn’t have elbows so that he’ll move more like a toddler.
- They originally wanted Olaf to have a fish nose but they used meat because he was being chased by wolves.
- They used a lot of the same inspiration from the first movies but from a different perspective.
Walt Disney Animation Studios’ animated short, Once Upon A Snowman, debuts exclusively on Disney+ October 23, 2020.
More about Once Upon A Snowman
The previously untold origins of Olaf, the innocent and insightful, summer-loving snowman who melted hearts in the Academy Award®-winning 2013 Disney animated feature, Frozen, and its acclaimed 2019 sequel, are revealed in the all-new Walt Disney Animation Studios animated short, Once Upon a Snowman. The film follows Olaf’s first steps as he comes to life and searches for his identity in the snowy mountains outside Arendelle.