Soul is headed to Disney+ on Christmas Day and I really can’t wait for you all to be able to watch it with your families. A few weeks ag0 (why does the time go by so fast?), I was able to attend the virtual Soul Press Conference with Tina Fey (voice of “22”), Phylicia Rashad (voice of “Libba Gardner”), Angela Bassett (voice of “Dorothea Williams”), Jamie Foxx (voice of “Joe Gardner”), Pete Docter (Director/Story & Screenplay by), Kemp Powers (Co-Director/Story & Screenplay by) and Dana Murray (Producer). Needless to say, they shared a lot of info! So, I’ve gone ahead and compiled a list of Fun Facts about Disney Pixar’s Soul.
Fun Facts About Disney Pixar’s Soul
- Joe Gardener’s character wasn’t always a musician. They played around with the idea of making him an actor, or scientist but they realized that you don’t get into jazz to be rich and famous, it’s something you love and are passionate about, so that would make Joe’s character feel more selfless.
- They developed the idea for this story 4 to 5 years ago.
- While there was a little bit of improvisation most of the lines come right from the script.
- Although Jamie Foxx has voiced other animated characters in the past, now that he has done a Pixar Character, his daughter thinks he’s finally made it.
- Given the importance of diversity in this film. they brought in various consultants such as Daveed Diggs and Ryan Kuebler. They even brought together the black employees (who were part of the daily process) at Pixar and created a trust as well.
- Between all the restaurants, subway, grime, and dirt, Angela Bassett found New York in Soul to be particularly authentic, the neighborhood specifically reminded her of Hell’s Kitchen.
- The design of Jerry, the counselors of the great before, was created to look like you took a wire and twisted it into the shape of a person. Although they are simple lines, they were actually difficult characters to bring to life.
- They didn’t want to do a hyper edgy film, they wanted to create a film that would make people feel the way they felt when they watched classic movies, like, It’s a Wonderful Life.
- The story of Soul is equally split between Earth and The Great Before.
While you are here, be sure to check out these Disney Pixar’s Soul Movie Quotes
What is it that makes you…YOU? Pixar Animation Studios’ all-new feature film “Soul” introduces Joe Gardner (voice of Jamie Foxx) – a middle-school band teacher who gets the chance of a lifetime to play at the best jazz club in town. But one small misstep takes him from the streets of New York City to The Great Before – a fantastical place where new souls get their personalities, quirks and interests before they go to Earth. Determined to return to his life, Joe teams up with a precocious soul, 22 (voice of Tina Fey), who has never understood the appeal of the human experience. As Joe desperately tries to show 22 what’s great about living, he may just discover the answers to some of life’s most important questions.
Soul comes to Disney+ on December 25th, 2020!