Zoe Saldana is one tough female on screen but after having chatted with her a couple of times (for Guardians of the Galaxy and while filming on set for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2), there is so much more to her. She is passionate about female empowerment, being a wife, a mom and taking care of her body. She is pretty inspiring and amazingly talented…it is no wonder she is as successful as she is.
Here’s what Zoe Saldana had to say…
- In this film, Gamora’s character has changed from being selfish to more maternal. “Gamora is so maternal. She’s turned over this new leaf. Like, in the first movie, she was so selfish. It was about getting away, and running away from her father and now it’s about keeping this family together and keeping them always on track…”
- She is 1 of 3 sisters, the middle child. She went on to say that her sister Marielle is more like Gamora when it comes to being maternal so she channeled her. “…so channeling something in Gamora, I think I was just thinking about my sister…the responsibility that she must’ve put upon herself to help my mom…”
- Growing up she only had 2 strong female characters she can reference, so she felt like she should take on the roles of strong female characters.
- What she hopes girls take away from Gamora’s character: “I think that it’s okay to still be vulnerable, and be strong, you know? I think that for some reason, we take it upon ourselves, or we’re told that you have to be one thing or the other. I think that vulnerability is strength, and being strong means that you have to be vulnerable…I don’t see Gamora as a strong character. I see her as someone that’s tired. [LAUGHS] Annoyed. She’s very vulnerable.”
- Zoe does some of her stunts but most of them are done by a stunt double. She went on to share a funny story with us: “There is a jump that I did. They made me jump from like, three stories or something, a 30 foot jump? Yeah. I was on wires, I still can’t remember if somebody told me, and I just brain farted, or somebody forgot to tell me that I was going to free fall. Like, I was not going to feel the tension on the wires. So when they said action, and I jumped, ’cause obviously I don’t like to take my time, ’cause there’s so many men watching you…I jumped, and thought I was dying. [LAUGHTER] Forgot to speak English, I was like, help me — And then James Gunn was like, yeah, your face was kind of awful there. [LAUGHTER] you have to do it again. And I was just like, oh my god. So I did it again. And then, you guys can watch it, I mean, it’s on Instagram. But as soon as I land, I was like I don’t want to do this again. Like, the girly girl came out of me…it was awful, but super fun.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 is in theaters May 5th!
Note: Disney provided me with an all-expenses paid press trip, in exchange for my coverage of the world premiere of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2. However, ALL opinions are my own.