Considering how awesome the movie Guardians of the Galaxy is, I was excited when I found out about Vol. 2! Even more so after I had the amazing opportunity to visit the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 set. Yup. That really happened!
Last April, I was on the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 set where I got to meet some of the cast (while in character…as pictured below), watch them film a scene (in that same picture below), see their costumes and even pose with some props. It was surreal!
What was cool was that having already spoken with Chris Pratt, he made it a point to say Hi to us as we watched. As we watched them, you could see them chatting with one another. They really are like a family, which is why they have such good chemistry on screen.
In addition to getting to pose with some of the blasters and cannons used in the film, we also got to chat with property master Russell Bobbitt.
“…They give me a script and I have to figure out what kind of props the actors need and where they fit in the universe…so I’ll go over the script and, and sort of make a big list of everything I think should be in the movie and then I think outside the box…”
He went on to share some fun facts:
- They used a few props from the first film. “…used a couple of things, like Drax’s knives wanted to be Drax’s knives…So, we used the same knives and Gamora’s sword.”
- There were some challenges that had to be overcome: “… And then the Walkman that Chris wears, was insanely challenging in that there’s plenty of the Walkman’s out there. You can find those. But the headset, allegedly Sony had a fire in the warehouse and all of that model burned to the ground…I called my manufacturing people. I put together a plan and I manufactured my own…and so we had a manufacturer more of his headsets because we wanted them to be the same headset.”
- They probably made 300 rifles for this movie
Given my love for Vin Diesel (the voice of Groot), my favorite props picture is the one with Baby Groot and Rocket Raccoon.
While we were there, we also had the chance to chat with Producer Jonathan Schwartz who shared some Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 deets
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 fun facts
- “…when we first meet them at the beginning of the movie, it’s a couple of months after the events of of Guardian 1. So, they’ve sort of been taking mercenary work around the galaxy trying to pay their bills. They’re sort of trying to do better and do good as much as they can. Uh, so, when first see them, they are, uh, on a mission trying to protect a planet from this horrible, tentacle beast, which we’re gonna see a lot of…and what they’re trying to do is to, to prevent this beast from stealing something from this planet…This a planet who’s led by Ayesha, a new character who we’re introducing in this movie. Unfortunately, along the course of that mission, some of the Guardians — I’m not gonna say who — refer to their old bad habits…”
- “…Yondu, the Michael Rooker character from movie one, who sort of raised Quill after taking him to space, with his complicated relationship with Quill…sort of navigating that father relationship is another big story thread for Guardians 2.”
10 months have gone by and I have been sworn to secrecy but I can finally spill all the beans and this week I will be sharing all the deets along with the cast interviews. Be sure to check back in each day this week for interviews with Chris Pratt (“Peter Quill/Star-Lord”), Zoe Saldana (“Gamora”), Dave Bautista (“Drax”), Michael Rooker (“Yondu”), Karen Gillan (“Nebula”) and Director James Gunn.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 hits theaters May 5th!
**I was invited by Disney/Marvel to attend this top secret Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Set press trip to share my experience with my readers. However, All opinions are my own.