While in LA for the Pete’s Dragon premiere, we got the chance to sit down and chat with Oakes Fegley (Pete) & Oona Laurence (Natalie) about their roles in the film. As I sat next to Oakes Fegley, he reminded me of a young Michael J. Fox. They were both super nice and of course very talented. I imagine that we will be seeing a lot more of them in the future.
Here’s what they had to say…
- They did stunt training before they started filming, so they felt safe with all the stuntmen and all the stunts they did. They really had fun doing them.
- It was sometimes difficult to imagine that it was a dragon because it was a pole with a tennis ball on the end of it or a piece of tape stuck on the wall, but they eventually got used to it.
- They were both amazed when they saw the dragon in the finished product.
- Oakes had to use permanent extensions in his hair for his character while filming.
- Neither one of them saw the original “Pete’s Dragon ” before filming but Oakes saw it after filming and has actually watched it a few times since.
- Oakes found out he got the role of Pete after 3 auditions and a chemistry read with Oona Laurence. His parents told him after he got home from school.
- Oakes hopes that people who watch the film walk out knowing that family is very, very important and that you can’t give up on family because they are there for you whenever.
- Neither of them had imaginary friends when they were younger.
Want to know what Bryce Dallas Howard shared about Herself & Pete’s Dragon? Check out these 11 Fun Facts.
Pete’s Dragon is officially in theaters!
Click here for my thoughts on the film
“Pete’s Dragon” is the adventure of an orphaned boy named Pete and his best friend Elliot, who just so happens to be a dragon. For years, old wood carver Mr. Meacham (Robert Redford) has delighted local children with his tales of the fierce dragon that resides deep in the woods of the Pacific Northwest. To his daughter, Grace (Bryce Dallas Howard), who works as a forest ranger, these stories are little more than tall tales…until she meets Pete (Oakes Fegley). Pete is a mysterious 10-year-old with no family and no home who claims to live in the woods with a giant, green dragon named Elliot. And from Pete’s descriptions, Elliot seems remarkably similar to the dragon from Mr. Meacham’s stories. With the help of Natalie (Oona Laurence), an 11-year-old girl whose father Jack (Wes Bentley) owns the local lumber mill, Grace sets out to determine where Pete came from, where he belongs, and the truth about this dragon.