If you have already seen the movie Big Hero 6, you may have seen the short film, Feast. If you haven’t yet seen Big Hero 6 (what are you waiting for?), be sure you get there early enough to see Feast because it is way too cute to miss!
“Feast,” a new short from first-time director Patrick Osborne (head of animation, “Paperman”) and Walt Disney Animation Studios, is the story of one man’s love life as seen through the eyes of his best friend and dog, Winston, and revealed bite by bite through the meals they share.
While in LA for the Big Hero 6 red carpet premiere and after party, interviews with the Big Hero 6 Directors, interviews with Jamie Chung & Genesis Rodriguez, doing a Baymax voiceover, watching a live taping of Dancing with the Stars, visiting the set of black-ish and interviewing some cast members Yara Shahidi, Marcus Scribner, Miles Brown, and Marsi Martin, I also got the chance to interview Feast Director Patrick Osborne and its Producer Kristina Reed.
During the interview they shared the following 9 Fun Facts About Disney’s Animation Short, Feast.
- The director was inspired by the app, 1 second everyday. He was beta testing it and it lets you record and edit down 1 second videos of your life. So he had done one for dinners in 2012.
- The director wanted to focus on meals because you can tell life stories through dinners. The setting of a meal when you’re single looks different from when you’re on a first date or when you’ve been dumped and you’re depressed. The meals all look different.
- The dog is a Boston terrier and he chose that do because for the right effect it had to be a dog that was 2 tones, it had to be a dog that fit underneath the table and no other Disney movies feature a Boston Terrier.
- Kirby, the name of the girl in the film is named after his grandmother’s maiden name.
- They based the town off of Oxford, Ohio (a college town near where he grew up in Cincinnati).
- The director was one of the inventors of the Meander Software, the software was originally written for the movie Princess and the Frog but they added to it.
- A lot of people work on the film for a short amount of time but only about 7 people worked on the film consistently
- All food used during the film were iconic so that it could be recognized easily by the audience.
- They would do Feast Fridays where they would show the work done during the week and they would serve one of the foods featured in the film. * It became quite popular as you can imagine.
Be sure to check out Feast and Big Hero 6, now playing in theaters! Click here for my thought on the movie.