Rachel House moved us in Disney’s Moana as the voice of Moana’s grandmother but as Topaz in Marvel’s Thor: Ragnarok she won’t give you those warm and fuzzy feelings. Not at all but she will make you laugh. Thankfully, she is extremely nice in person and was a pleasure to chat with while we in LA for the Thor: Ragnarok World Premiere.
Here’s what Rachel House had to say…
- Jeff Goldblum would start laughing during a scene instead of keeping a straight face. “…he was so funny. And, you know, I mean, uh, that’s not even half of it what you see. It’s not even a quarter of what, of the improvisation and stuff that we were doing, you know? And Jeff was just so masterful at improvisation…”
- Rachel loves working with Taika because it is a lot of fun. “It’s funny, ‘cause I just play all these really mean characters and I’m not mean at all. I’m sort of really ‘ooh’ about meanness. So, I think he kind of enjoys that.”
- Doing this character was easy for Rachel because they are the kind of characters that Taika usually has her do.
- Rachel met Taika when he was 17 years old. “…he was in a play in this little theater in Wellington, and he was the best thing about it, you know? I was a couple years older, and at drama school at the time. And, Wellington and I just met him after and said, “You were so great. You know, thank you so much.” And then started becoming a fan of his little crazy comedy stuff that he’d do with Jemaine and Bret and another guy called Nigel Collins…From then, we just kept staying in touch. And I, I mean, I had no idea he was gonna end up being a awesome film director.”
- While she found it to be intimidating to step into the Marvel universe she got over it very quickly.
Thor: Ragnarok is finally in theaters!
Disclosure: I went on this trip as part of a Disney/ABC/Freeform press trip. All of my travel, lodging and meal expenses were covered by them. No other compensation was received. However, all opinions/thoughts are 100% my own