Last summer I had a blast with my kids while they were on vacation. My goal was to keep them as busy as possible so that I wouldn’t hear the dreaded words, “I’m bored”. We did a ton of things together and created some pretty incredible memories. It really was a great summer!
I’m not going to lie…going into it I was nervous. What the heck was I going to do with 2 kids over the summer that would keep them entertained? Would I lose my mind? Would I go broke? Although I survived the Summer of 2013, Summer 2014 is almost here so I am back to planning our Summer Bucket List.
I thought I’d share Ways To Do More For Less This Summer
- Take advantage of $1.00 movie theater deals
- Check out the free bowling programs
- Check Groupon for deals
- Buy board games at Goodwill or a thrift store
- Swap toys with another family
- Be on the lookout for free Summer Concerts or Outdoor Movies in your city
- Set up playdates and alternate homes so they get new experiences each time.
- Create an obstacle course
- Have them write a story that they add to everyday. If they can’t write have them draw pictures of the various activities you do.
- Have them create a talent show
- Make paper planes, decorate them and try to fly them
- Buy a kite from the Dollar Store and fly a kite
- Create a treasure/scavenger hunt (you can get the supplies from the Dollar Tree)
- Create new recipes together
- Play sports, create tournaments. You can even have them make up their own games.
- Take them swimming
- Go to the park
- Picnic at the park or beach
- Go to the library for free activities, books, movie and game rentals
- Go bike riding
- Go camping in your backyard
- Go hiking
- Plant vegetables and/or flowers
Any other Ways To Do More For Less This Summer that I may have missed?
What’s interesting is that despite all that we did, they sometimes had the nerve to say the words I longed not to hear. Children! It’s never enough is it?