Rachel McAdams did a great job being a mean girl in the film “Mean Girls” but that just goes to show what a great actress she is but she is so sweet!!! I was super excited to get the chance to chat with her about her role as Christine Palmer in Doctor Strange. She is so sweet!!!!
Here’s what she shared…
- Joining the Marvel universe was everything she had hoped for and more. She had seen the Marvel movies and loved them.
- When we spoke, she had seen an uncut version of the film that only had about half of the effects done but she still thought it was mind blowing. She loved how “trippy” it was.
- In order to prepare for her role she shadowed brain surgeons (a female brain surgeon in Toronto and another surgeon in London). Plus, they had a surgeon onset every day. He taught her to do sutures by practicing on raw turkey breasts and oranges.
Fun fact: She kind of became obsessed with the suturing.
- One of the doctors even offered to take her up in an Evac helicopter over the weekend but she is terrified of flying and has a weak stomach so she had to decline their generous offer.
- Her mom is a nurse, so she actually grew up around medicine. She would draw from her mom and her experiences as a nurse to get into a character.
- As for getting into character, she went on to say that “…Benedict is such an extraordinary actor that you just have to be present with him and it all kind of falls into place. I mean, we did a lot of crying together. We cried one day for eight hours straight, every single take. And I’ve never been able to do that before. I mean, you know it comes, it goes, it comes back again. But with him I mean he’s so emotionally available and present that I’d look at him and I’d start crying. “
- Rachel wasn’t allowed to touch the cloak (no one was), so she only got to look at it. Should her character return in future films, she would love a cloak of her own.
- If she could have any super power, she would like to be invisible because she’d love to go into people’s houses and see their interior decorating.
- She thinks there couldn’t be a more perfect Dr. Strange
- Fun Fact: She is a total scaredy-cat in real life
More about Doctor Strange
From Marvel Studios comes “Doctor Strange,” the story of world-famous neurosurgeon Dr. Stephen Strange whose life changes forever after a horrific car accident robs him of the use of his hands. When traditional medicine fails him, he is forced to look for healing, and hope, in an unlikely place—a mysterious enclave known as Kamar-Taj. He quickly learns that this is not just a center for healing but also the front line of a battle against unseen dark forces bent on destroying our reality. Before long Strange—armed with newly acquired magical powers—is forced to choose whether to return to his life of fortune and status or leave it all behind to defend the world as the most powerful sorcerer in existence.
*Hits theaters Nov. 4th!
*I was invited by Disney and Marvel to attend a press junket covering Doctor Strange. All opinions are my own.