I love the Holidays! Out of all of them, Christmas is the one I really go all out for when it comes to decorating and preparing Holiday treats and meals, which can lead to an increase in energy consumption. Thankfully, Florida Power & Light Company (FPL) has come up with some ways you can save energy (and therefore money) during the Holiday Season.
6 Ways To Save Energy and Money During The Holiday Season
As soon as we’ve celebrated Thanksgiving, I find myself wanting to buy our Christmas Tree and decorating the house inside and out. I actually have bins and bins of decorations…Christmas decorations are no joke in our home. Here’s how you can save energy and money with your Christmas décor:
1. Use LED lights because they consume 70 percent less energy than incandescent ones.
2. Limit the use of inflatables and consider supplementing your holiday displays with ornaments that don’t consume energy. *Each inflatable can cost you anywhere from $2 – $9 each per month.
3. Use automatic timers to handle turning off your lights and decorations so that don’t stay on at night or when you aren’t home.
Whether we’re hosting a party or attending one, during the Holidays I find that I’m either preparing more meals or goodies. If you can relate, here are some ways you can save energy and money while preparing yummy treats for family and friends to enjoy.
1. Choose glass or ceramic pans for the oven because they heat faster than metal ones and you can typically set the temperature 25 degrees lower than a recipe suggests for the same cooking time.
2. Want to check on what’s cooking in the oven? Simply turn the oven light on and look through the interior window instead of opening the oven door. The oven loses a lot of heat when it’s opened and then requires a significant amount of energy to heat back up to the correct temperature.
3. Use smaller appliances (like slow cookers, microwaves and toaster ovens) for side dishes or smaller meals because they tend to be much more energy-efficient.
Well there you go. Those are 6 Ways To Save Energy and Money During The Holiday Season (and actually 3 of them can help you save year round). Want more tips? Visit FPL.com/EasyToSave.