What do you get when you combine Tostones and Steak Sandwiches? A Toston Steak Sandwich…a steak sandwich that uses Tostones instead of bread. I’d like to take credit for coming up with this idea, given my strong love of tostones and steak sandwiches, but it wasn’t me. It was actually my mom was the one who introduced this yummy goodness to me after trying it at a Puerto Rican restaurant a few years ago. I am not sure who came up with the idea but I am certainly glad they did.
When I first started making this, I was an over achiever and tried making a long Toston Steak Sandwich by cutting the toston in half and using a bigger piece for the sandwich. That was way too much work because it was harder to flatten an took longer to cook. So now, I cut the toston into 3 equal parts. The sandwich is a bit smaller but overall easier to work with which is what you’ll want/need if preparing a few sandwiches.
Want to make your own Toston Steak Sandwich?
You’ll need…(for a family of 4)
- 4 Steaks
- 3 Tostones (you’ll get 3 slices per)
- 3 Tbsp. of Grease/Olive Oil for frying
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Onion
- 1.75 oz can of Shoestring Potatoes
- Season the steaks
- Peel the Tostones by cutting long slices and peeling off the peel
- Cut the peeled toston into 3 equal parts
- Fry the steaks
- Fry Tostones until golden brown
- Flatten the Tostones
*That tostonera actually belonged to my Abuela Maria, who is no longer with us. She used to love when I made tostones.
- Fry the flattened Tostones until darker golden brown
- Remove from the grease and place on a plate covered in paper towels to remove excess grease
- Prepare your Toston Steak Sandwich to your preference and enjoy
I like to buy my Steaks (and other meat) from Sedano’s. I wait until the Cañada is on sale and stock up on Steaks, Falda, Beef Stew and Ground Beef. While I am there, I pick up other recipe essentials and groceries.
Hungry for Tradition? Give your family an extra helping of authenticity at Sedano’s. Will you be trying to make the Toston Steak Sandwich? You should, it is so good!