This week I am headed to Anaheim, California for the 2017 D23 Expo, The Ultimate Disney Fan Event! I am about to experience 3 fun and full days of all things Disney. Every day is jam packed with sessions, walking the expo and spending the evenings at Disneyland. Even if we had the time to sleep while we are there, my excitement wouldn’t let me.
Keeping with the tradition of the bloggers attending posting “D23 Expo Or Bust” photos, here is mine.
Fun Fact about me dressing up as Moana: Given that the skirt barely fit (because sizes run small or at least that’s what I’m telling myself), there was quite a gap in the material that thankfully you can’t see. If only I could say the same for the golfers who were passing by while I was taking these pics. While I was wearing shorts underneath, I am sure they got more than they bargained for when they decided to golf that day. To them I say, in my best Maui voice, “You’re Welcome”
Here are the sessions that we will be attending while we are at the D23 Expo:
Disney Legends Awards Ceremony
Oprah Winfrey, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Stan Lee, Julie Taymor, and other remarkable contributors to the Disney legacy will be honored as official Disney Legends during D23 Expo 2017. Hosted by Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger, the Disney Legends Award ceremony will be held at 10 a.m. on Friday, July 14, in Hall D23 of the Anaheim Convention Center, and will include special musical performances. This year marks the 30th anniversary of the Disney Legends Awards. The first Disney Legend was Fred MacMurray (The Shaggy Dog, The Absent-Minded Professor, The Happiest Millionaire), who was honored in 1987.
Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Upcoming Films, Hosted by John Lasseter panel
Join host John Lasseter, chief creative officer of Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios, as he presents Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Upcoming Films. Watch never-before-seen footage from Pixar’s upcoming feature COCO and Walt Disney Animation’s RALPH BREAKS THE INTERNET: WRECK-IT RALPH 2, and be prepared for surprise announcements, musical performances, and appearances by star voice talent.
Disney, Marvel Studios & Lucasfilm – Live Action at The Walt Disney Studios panel
The Walt Disney Studios is home to the biggest and most beloved brands in filmmaking today, with a number of highly anticipated projects from Disney, Marvel Studios, and Lucasfilm in the works. At this exclusive Hall D23 presentation featuring never-before-seen footage, surprise star appearances, and more, you’ll get a behind-the-scenes glimpse at an exciting array of spectacular films on the horizon from these world-class studios.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts panel
Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Bob Chapek will take the stage during this presentation to share what’s new and what’s next at Disney Parks and Resorts around the globe.
Celebration of an Animated Classic: THE LION KING panel
Join a Disney Celebration of the magic, the music, and the majesty of the animated classic THE LION KING. Producer Don Hahn, Director Rob Minkoff, and animators Tony Bancroft and Mark Henn, along with some very special guests, reveal the secrets behind the making of the timeless animated classic.
A Whole New World of Alan Menken concert
“Under the Sea.” “Be Our Guest.” “Colors of the Wind.” This is just some of the unforgettable music written by Disney Legend Alan Menken over the course of his unrivaled career. Menken’s iconic melodies have been stuck in our heads and are firmly imprinted on our hearts—and now he’s giving us the chance to hear them like never before. Menken will present a brand-new one-man show, A Whole New World of Alan Menken, in which the Disney Legend will perform songs from beloved Disney films and share stories from his incredible career in film, TV, and theater. This special concert will be filled with magical musical memories that will make your heart sing.
Walt Disney Records The Legacy Collection Robin Hood overview
- The Disney Music Emporium is a pop up store on the D23 EXPO floor that sells collectible Disney music-related products
- Walt Disney Records The Legacy Collection Robin Hood, a two-disc set, will be released for the first time during the expo. Disc one of the collection includes the songs and score and disc two includes previously unreleased demos and bonus tracks performed by Louis Prima. Also included are extensive liner notes by Disney historian and writer Paula Sigman-Lowery. The CD cover and 20-page booklet feature newly created artwork inspired by ROBIN HOOD from Lorelay Bove, a visual development artist at Walt Disney Animation Studios (Tangled, Winnie the Pooh, Wreck-It Ralph).
Exclusive access to the Walt Disney Archives exhibit “A Pirates Life For Me”
- “Walt Disney Archives Presents––A Pirate’s Life for Me: Disney’s Rascals, Scoundrels and Really Bad Eggs” is a 12,000-square-foot exhibit, located on the Expo show floor, that will honor Disney’s treasured pirates from film, television, and the beloved Disney parks attraction that has thrilled guests from Anaheim to Shanghai. Hundreds of props, set pieces, photographs, costumes and never-before-seen items will be on display.
- Included in this collection will be a 23-foot-tall set model of the Black Pearl ship, the Dead Men’s chest, and more original props and set pieces, including items from the new film, PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES.
- Also on the show floor, the Archives will present “Fantastical Fashions,” a dazzling selection of dresses worn by beloved heroines and sinister villainesses. Costumes from six of Disney’s live-action fantasy films will be showcased including Enchanted, Maleficent and Beauty and the Beast.
One of my favorite shows growing up was Duck Tales and I am so glad that they are bringing it back! Even more excited that while we are at the D23 Expo, I will get to take photos at Scrooge McDuck’s Money Bin and interview Executive Producer Matt Youngberg and Co-Producer / Story Editor Francisco Angones.
Hope you’ll follow along using #D23Expo 7/14 – 7/16