This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Florida KidCare. However, the opinions and text are all mine and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of Florida KidCare.
What is it about Halloween that people love so much? Is it that you get to dress up in costumes? Go to a haunted house? Stock up on enough candy to last you for a year? Maybe it’s all 3. Whatever the reason is, I know that my kiddos are really excited.
As we prepare the costumes (in my case purchase) and prepare to venture out for festivities and trick-or-treating, I thought it would be helpful to share these easy Halloween Safety Tips for Kids (while they seem obvious, those are the ones we tend to forget when we really need them).
- Have them Trick-or-Treat in a group and in well-lit areas.
- Use a flashlight or place reflective tape on the costume so that they can be seen at night.
- Cross the street at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks. Also, remind the kiddos to look both ways before crossing the street. In all their excitement they tend to forget to do that.
- Be careful with long costumes, make sure they fit right and aren’t dragging on the floor to avoid tripping.
- Only go to homes with a porch light on and remind them to never enter a home or car for a treat.
- Inspect their candy to make sure it is in its original wrapper and hasn’t been opened.
- ***Have them brush their teeth after eating Halloween candy and treats.
I put stars (***) by that last tip because I didn’t want you to overlook it. A healthy mouth plays an important role in keeping the rest of your body healthy. So, keeping your child’s teeth healthy should be a priority. Having them brush their teeth is only part of it though, another part of keeping their teeth healthy involves taking them in for regular dental check ups (but you need dental insurance to make that happen). There are currently 257,000 children in Florida living without health and dental insurance BUT 147,000 of them are likely eligible for completely free or low-cost health insurance through Florida KidCare.
Florida KidCare provides health, dental, vision and other important preventive services to ensure your child is healthy and ready for holiday festivities. For more information or to apply for health and dental insurance for your child(ren), simply click here and you’ll be taken directly to the Florida KidCare website. After all, it is better to take preventive measures when it comes to your child’s health. Plus, applying is easy to do and there is no application fee.
You should also check out the 10 Things You Should Know About Florida KidCare I posted on the blog.