Having loved Beauty and the Beast growing up, Gugu Mbatha-Raw shared just how happy she was to have the role of Featherduster in Disney’s live-action film, Beauty And The Beast.
Gugu Mbatha-Raw Shares 7 Fun Facts About Her Role in Beauty And The Beast
- Gugu thought the idea of playing a feather duster was both whimsical and fun.
- She worked on her French accent with a dialect coach.
- Although they didn’t record together, Gugu did meet at the Waltz dance rehearsal. “It’s a great way to sort of get to know your co-star, we were learning the ballroom dance for the end scene and that was kind of really fun. When you’re both learning something together and stumbling…Ewan is such a generous actor and has such a great sense of humor. So it was great working with him.”
- Gugu was “pleasantly surprised to see that they made her into this sort of flying dove like peacock like, a very dainty creation.”…In the costume fitting, they played around with the bird theme.
- While in the recording studio, she did flap her arms a lot, “…because I was trying to sort of get into the likeness of what it would be like to fly.”
- Hopes that the audience sees this film and that “people will get swept up in the romance and the music is just so iconic. I love the message that beauty is found within. It’s an oldie but a goodie. But, really for this film, the idea to look a little deeper, see the human within each and every person, even if the exterior is something that intimidates you or you’re not familiar with. There’s always a human underneath it all. I think to try to connect to somebody’s soul, is really important.”
- Thoughts on the music: “…the power of the score transports you. I think there’s just something about that music that is so romantic and hits you on an emotional level that you can’t not be swept up in it.”
Want more Beauty And The Beast? Check out:
On March 17th, rediscover a tale as old as time!