Let me start off by saying that I love Katy Mixon. Actually, I even told her as much right before hugging her. She is just so sweet and amazing that you can’t help but want to hug her and tell her just how wonderful she is. Plus, she is really funny! Have you seen her in her roles as Katie Otto on American Housewife? We watched the episode that is airing tonight and we were cracking up.
35 weeks pregnant and looking absolutely radiant, Katy Mixon so graciously took the time to chat with us about life and her work on American Housewife. Here’s some of what she had to say…
- She is originally from Pensacola, FL and is 1 of 7 siblings (6 girls, 1 boy). “…my mom and dad are from Louisiana. And my dad is a doctor, but he was in a band. He played football for LSU, like real well rounded. You feel me? So I grew up like in the Von Trapp Family singers. Basically. The Brady Bunch. At any given point there’s 5-part harmony going on and Mommy’s telling me that you’re flat, like it’s a whole situation. [GROUP LAUGHTER] But they’re really precious, they’re really amazing. A lot of my sisters, they went to Carnegie Mellon also. I went to Boston Conservatory, we all grew up in it. For whatever reason, I’m the only one handling it, doing this. The other ones have found their own journey. And everything, which has been wonderful for them, you know. So they are special. I come from an incredible situation. So yeah.”
- 4 days after wrapping up “Mike & Molly”, she walked onto the set of American Housewife.
- A lot of the situations they deal with on the show come from the creator’s, Sarah Dunn, personal experiences.
- Katy has always been quite fearless (unlike her character on the show). “I rock n’ roll in a different way. I always have. I don’t, I’ve always been quite fearless. I’ve always, I’ve never really let anxiety take a toll on me. And I march to the beat of my own drum, I get back up on that horse and if I don’t get it right, I’m gonna do it again the next day. That’s kinda my M.O., that’s kinda how I’ve always rocked n’ rolled. Sarah Dunn’s quite different from me. Which is a beautiful thing too.”
- When asked about her favorite episodes she said they were just too many to list. “…So many. There’s just so many. [LAUGHS] We just finished filming three weeks ago, so it feels all a blur, to be honest with you. I think certain ones that stand out, I love BAG LADY. I loved that when she just went crazy on people. That was real fun, I loved being able to do physical comedy. Like physical stuff, you know. Getting out of the house, and be in the environment, I love that. I love Zombie Run, when I got to be back home. [GROUP LAUGHTER] I loved it, we did [LAUGHS] right away. And it was crazy. I must have run five miles in the period of five days. It was really insane. But yeah, that was one. These are some of the ones that stick out…”
I loved meeting Katy Mixon!
American Housewife airs Tuesdays at 8:30/7:30c on ABC…be sure to tune in tonight for a funny episode titled “The Club”.
When Anna-Kat develops a fear of water and stops bathing, her therapist suggests the Ottos get her to go swimming. But can Katie get over own her fear of wearing a bathing suit in public at the Westport Country Club so she can help her kid out? Meanwhile Oliver gives his dad a style makeover after students at the college give Greg a low “jalapeño” score.
Note: Disney provided me with an all-expenses paid press trip, in exchange for my coverage of the world premiere of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, DWTS and American Housewife. However, ALL opinions are my own.