Sitting outside a home in Atlanta, with 2 jackets on because it was freezing, as I watched the birthday party scene for Ant-Man being filmed allowed me to see first hand all the work that goes into filming a movie. Even more so when I actually got to go inside the house to see what it was like with all those people doing their assigned tasks, a camera set on tracks to capture the scene in a particular way and watching it all come together. I walked out having a new appreciation for the Director.
The Director has to have a vision and then find a way to make that vision come to life…but with a ton of moving pieces to tend to and “direct” in the process. It is no easy task, especially for a Marvel Film (because the pressure is on). Yet, Peyton Reed was happy to do so! I know that it had something to do with doing what he loves but I also know that it is because he loves Marvel Comics and Ant-Man.
“I am a classic Marvel Comics nerd who was reading comic books from a really, really young age and there was kind of a choice as a kid. You either read Marvel Comics or DC Comics. Some kids read both, but I was strictly a Marvel guy and Ant-Man was one of my favorites. I always loved Ant Man.”
Check out what else Director of Ant-Man, Peyton Reed, had to say:
- Peyton loves Ant-Man because he’s kind of an outsider character, even in the comics world.
- He was in a punk band in the 80’s and he would draw all the flyers for the shows. There was one where he ripped off the cover of Avengers #1. All the band members were characters of the Avengers and Peyton was Ant Man.
- One of the things that he was really attracted to about the movie was that Ant-Man is the only super hero in the Marvel Universe that’s a parent.
- As far as parenting goes, they’ve changed some of the specifics from the comic but he still definitely has the relationship with his daughter Cassie. Actually, it is a driving force as to why he sort of embraces his heroic side.
- It was really appealing to Peyton to do a movie that had various “weird elements” to it: The shrinking, Controlling ants, All sort of super heroics and a grounded domestic side.
- One of the things he loves about Ant Man is that the powers are really different and the style of story is very different…it’s a very grounded story.
- This movie really has the DNA of a heist movie…The way that it was written and the way that they shot it has got a real sort of rhythm. Yes, it is a super hero movie but it really has the spine of a heist movie.
- They actually watched a lot of heist movies for inspiration. Movies like, Oceans 11, The Killing, Stanley Kubrick and the original Thomas Crown Affair.
- Peyton feels that Paul Rudd has gotta’ be the most liked and most likeable guy in Hollywood. He also feels that Paul is an incredibly gifted Comedic Actor but that he’s equally amazing in dramatic movies and on stage.
- Thinks the movie is appropriate for all ages.
*Be sure to check back every day this week for my exclusive Ant-Man Set Visit Interviews!
Armed with the astonishing ability to shrink in scale but increase in strength, master thief Scott Lang must embrace his inner hero and help his mentor, Dr. Hank Pym, protect the secret behind his spectacular Ant-Man suit from a new generation of towering threats. Against seemingly insurmountable obstacles, Pym and Lang must plan and pull off a heist that will save the world.
Ant-Man will be in theaters on July 17th!
Stay social with Ant-Man:
- Like ANT-MAN on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/antman
- Follow ANT-MAN on Twitter: https://twitter.com/antman
- Visit the official ANT-MAN site: http://marvel.com/antman