While at the D23 Expo, not only did I get the chance to jump into the Scrooge McDuck money bin (which was pretty awesome), we also got the chance to be the first ones to screen the first Ducktales episode. After the screening, we sat down with the Executive Producer, Matt Youngberg, and Co-Producer / Story Editor, Francisco Angones. During our chat they shared some cool DuckTales Fun Facts which of course I am sharing with you below.
DuckTales Fun Facts
- David Tennant voices Scrooge McDuck. The producers wanted someone who was legitimately Scottish.
- They made it so that in every episode, they all visit a different location. In trying to keep it authentic, they hire actors from the places they visit to do the voices.
- In an effort to bring the comic books to life and to take DuckTales back to its roots, they went for the hand drawn look in their animation.
- You will be seeing a lot of Easter eggs from the original series in this version of DuckTales, comic books and video games. Like the Skeletons, lamps you see in 1st episode.
- Lin-Manuel Miranda is a huge fan of the original series and was brought as the voice of a Latino super hero, Fenton Crackshell-Cabrera / Gizmoduck .
Fun Fact: An earnest letter from Francisco Angones asking him to be a part of the show actually made Lin cry.
Fun fact: the Moon theme from the DuckTales video game used to be Lin’s ring tone.
- The theme song was updated but wasn’t changed to much from the original.
- They’ll be introducing a new villian (Scrooge competitor) called Mark Beaks, a tech billionaire.
- One of the main mysteries of this show will be the falling out between Donald and Scrooge.
- The 4 kids are the lead to the show, not just the triplets and the will be developing their characters throughout: * Huey (oldest) is the nerdy responsible one. * Dewey (middle) is eager to stand out. * Louie (youngest) likes sliding under the radar because then he can get away with more stuff. * Webbey (Beekley’s granddaughter) is a strong female character that doesn’t need rescuing .
Will you be tuning into the DuckTales premiere episode on August 12th?
After not speaking to one another for ten years, Scrooge McDuck is reunited with Donald Duck after he and his three nephews Huey, Dewey and Louie move into McDuck Manor. The presence of the newcomers rekindles Scrooge’s spirit of adventure, leading the group to go on many new treasure-hunting expeditions, while the nephews and their new friend Webby uncover the truth behind what caused their uncles to become estranged and retire from adventuring.