Check out these 2 Delicious Scottish Recipes in the theme of the film “Brave”, in theaters on June 22nd
Scotch Egg Recipe
John Ricks – Pixar Animation Studios, Luxo Cafe
- 4 farm eggs, hard boiled, chilled and shelled
- 8 oz bulk pork sausage, best quality (turkey sausage can be substituted)
- 1 raw egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- oil for frying
- salt & fresh herbs
- Set up a breading station using separate bowls for
- Seasoned flour (1/2 cup flour, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper)
- Egg wash (beat together raw egg & milk)
- Panko bread crumbs (with minced fresh parsley, chives, chervil, thyme, optional)
- Portion sausage into four equal balls.
- Flatten sausage into a thin disc using the palm of your hand.
- Encase the hard boiled egg evenly in sausage meat, and crimp it closed thoroughly.
- Coat with flour then egg wash and finally bread crumbs.
Note: Breaded eggs can be refrigerated overnight for convenience.
- Preheat oil to 350F and cook for 5 minutes, until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel and lightly season with salt while still hot.
Serve warm or room temp, with your favorite mustard! (Serves Four)
Great Granny May Scott’s Cullen Skink Recipe
Great Granny May – Thurso, Scotland
- 2 oz butter
- 1 onion diced
- 1 celery stick diced
- 8 oz diced potato
- 10 oz stock (chicken or vegetable)
Click on “Read More” to see the rest of this post
- 12 oz smoked Haddock
- 10 fluid oz milk
- pepper/parsley to taste
- 3 tablespoons cream
- Melt butter in pan.
- Cook vegetables for 2 minutes.
- Add potato and cook for 1 minute.
- Add stock and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add fish (cut into bite size pieces)/milk/pepper/parsley and simmer for 5 minutes. Add cream.
Serve with crusty bread and butter.
Click HERE to download these recipes in a pdf.
“Brave” follows the heroic journey of Merida, a skilled archer and headstrong daughter of King Fergus (voice of Billy Connolly) and Queen Elinor (voice of Emma Thompson). Determined to carve her own path in life, Merida defies an age-old custom sacred to the unruly and uproarious lords of the land: massive Lord MacGuffin (voice of Kevin McKidd), surly Lord Macintosh (voice of Craig Ferguson) and cantankerous Lord Dingwall (voice of Robbie Coltrane). Merida’s actions inadvertently unleash chaos and fury in the kingdom, and when she turns to an eccentric Witch (voice of Julie Walters) for help, she is granted an ill-fated wish. The ensuing peril forces Merida to harness all of her skills and resources – including her clever and mischievous triplet brothers – to undo a beastly curse before it’s too late, discovering the meaning of true bravery.
Don’t forget you can “Like” BRAVE on Facebook or on Twitter