Getting to enjoy an authentic Mexican dinner on Los Angeles’ historic Olvera Street with Anthony Gonzalez (voice of “Miguel”) was such a pleasure. I mean the food was really good, but getting the chance to speak with Anthony was great. He is such a sweet young man who is truly grateful to have been a part of Coco.
Not only is he incredibly nice, he is also a very talented singer. I was so impressed with his performance of Remember Me and Un Poco Loco. It was a real treat.
Here are 7 fun facts I learned from Anthony Gonzalez during our interview
- Just like Miguel, Anthony Gonzalez has a passion for music.
- He grew up with music, singing with his brothers right where we were having dinner, in La Placita Olvera since he was four years old.
- Anthony also celebrates Day of the Dead because his grandfather passed away when he was six years old and it is a chance for him to connect with him again. Anthony’s late grandfather is his version of Mama Coco.
- One of his most memorable moments was singing with Benjamin Bratt at D23.
- He hopes that children and adults know that the Day of the Dead is not Halloween. It’s a celebration meant for everyone, not just Mexicans. It’s a time to get back in touch with the memories of your loved ones and to share those memories with family members that may not have been lucky enough to know them.
- Being the voice of a Disney character is a dream come true for him.
- One day Anthony would love to work with Zac Efron, Tom Cruise, Emma Stone, Zendaya, Emma Watson or Daniel Radcliffe in the future.
Disney•Pixar’s “Coco” crosses over digitally in HD, 4K Ultra HD™ and Movies Anywhere today and on 4K Ultra HD™ & Blu-ray™ on Feb. 27.